Do I have to actually be working when I’m injured in order to qualify for workers’ compensation benefits? What if I’m injured during my lunch break?

In order to collect workers compensation benefits, you must prove that your injury or illness arose as a direct result of performing required job duties, or as a direct result of your employment relationship. You do not need to prove that your employer was negligent or careless in any way in order to collect workers comp benefits, even your own negligence won’t disqualify you if your behavior did not violate company policy. Injuries that occur on a lunch break are generally not going to qualify you for workers compensation benefits except in special circumstances.

What can I do as an employee if I suspect that an illness or injury is work-related?

The workers compensation system in place throughout the United States provides benefits not only for acute injuries, but also for any illnesses or injuries that develop over time. Some examples of possible illnesses or injuries that might develop over time include repetitive stress injuries, illnesses resulting from exposure to workplace toxins, etc. When a worker suspects that any kind of illness or injury is work related, there are steps that they need to take in order to obtain potential workers comp benefits.