What kind of medical benefits does workers’ comp provide after a work-related injury?

While workers comp laws vary slightly from state to state, a worker is generally eligible to recover 100 percent of the cost of medical treatments that result from a job-related injury, including emergency room services, hospital care, physician’s fees, and prescriptions. However, there are some important limitations that you need to be aware of regarding your medical treatment when filing a workers compensation claim.

Will my employer’s workers’ compensation insurance pay for my personal doctor and his choice of treatment?

In some states, an employee filing a worker’s compensation claim has the right to see their personal doctor for work related injuries if they make this request to your employer in writing before an injury occurs. In most states, however, an injured worker’s doctor choice is limited to a list provided by the employer or its insurance company. If an employee goes to a personal doctor that is not on the list or authorized by the employer, the employee may not be reimbursed by a worker’s compensation claim.

Do workers’ comp benefits extend to the family of a deceased worker?

If a worker dies as the result of an injury or on-the-job exposure, death benefits are usually paid to dependents. This typically includes the surviving spouse and any minor children as well. Under certain circumstances, other dependent relatives of the deceased worker can also receive benefit payments. The amount of the dependency benefits is usually determined by the wages in effect at the time of the accident. There is at times a maximum cap on the amount of such benefits.