Can my employer prevent me from having a second job?

Although it may not seem fair, your employer may have the authority to prevent you from having a second job. This authority may be enforced through an express contract or an implied contract. You can determine the extent to which you are restricted from having a second job by examining the type of contract you have with your employer.

Violating Employers Social Networking Policy

Violating an employer’s social networking policy, like a violation of any other employer’s policy, is generally legal grounds for firing or other form of discipline. Most employee business social networking policies prohibit social networking on company time, or posting anything online that reflects negatively on the company. as well as any confidential company information. However, if a business’s social networking media policy covers too much ground, disciplining an employee for social networking activity may cause trouble for the employer.

Employment Personality Tests

Many employers are moving to non-traditional methods for selecting and hiring new employees or for assisting with employee retention, including using personality tests. Whether an employer can force an employee or prospective employee to take a personality test as a condition of employment is a complicated question and covers an area of employment law that as of yet has not been thoroughly discussed in the court system.