How best to handle a sexual harassment case?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to handle a sexual harassment case?

I’m currently working for a dentist. He has less then 15 employees. I have been sexually harassed many times. I have texts and letters. Now my employer is trying to do anything he can to get me to quit. What can I do?

Asked on October 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As you know, sexual harassment is against the law. You have three different, and not mutually exclusive options (i.e. you can 1, 2, or all 3 of them).

1) You can report the sexual harassment to the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, who may take action on your behalf.

2) You can report the harassment to the Virginia Employment Commission, who may take action on your behalf.

3) You can bring a private lawsuit against your employer for sexual harassment.

Many employment attorneys will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case. A good place to start may be to meet with such an attorney to evaluate how strong your case is, what it might be worth, and your options. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption