employment being fired

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

employment being fired

in michigan do employers have to pay accured vacation time to you when you are fired

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Business Law, Michigan


GW, Member, Michigan and Hawaii Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Yes they do, at least if the vacation pay accrued under a written policy or contract, unless the policy or contract says they don't have to. 

MCLA 408.471 defines "fringe benefits" as "compensation due an employee pursuant to a written contract or written policy for holiday, time off for sickness or injury, time off for personal reasons or vacation, bonuses, authorized expenses incurred during the course of employment, and contributions made on behalf of an employee."

MCLA 408.473 says the employer has to pay fringe benefits according the terms of the written policy or contract.


MCLA 408.474 says: "An employer shall not withhold a payment of compensation due an employee as a fringe benefit to be paid at a termination date unless the withholding is agreed upon by written contract or a signed statement obtained with the full and free consent of the employee without intimidation or fear of discharge for refusing to agree to the withholding of the benefit."

So even if you agreed that the employer could withhold your vacation pay on termination, that agreement might be invalid under some circumstances.

Here's a brochure with information about your rights and how to file a complaint.: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Brochure_390_R_5_5_05_130750_7.pdf


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption