Employer wont pay travel time

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer wont pay travel time

Employer from massachusetts wont pay for
travel time back to the shop from a
jobsite. I understand the not getting
paid while to and from work. But as long
as im in worktruck and traveling back
to the shop to grab my car doesnt hehave
to pay me for the travel time? Its not
fair working an hour and a half away
from the shop and driving back not
getting paid. Doesnt this fall under the
massachusetts portal to portal act?

Asked on July 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer does legally need to pay mid-workday travel time (e.g. from the shop to a jobsite; or from jobsite to shop); travel to and from job locations during the workday *is* work and must be paid under the law (e.g. the Portal-to-Portal Act). You can file a wage and hour complaint against him with the state deparatment of labor and/or sue the employer for the unpaid time. You can potentially recover up to two (2) years worth of unpaid travel time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption