Employer takes insurance premiums out of my check but doesn’t pay insurance company

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer takes insurance premiums out of my check but doesn’t pay insurance company

On more then one occasion employer
has taken money out of check for
insurance benefits but has not paid to
insurance company and now I have
10,000 dollars in doctor bills and
money taken out that’s owed to me

Asked on April 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you can do is sue your employer to get back the premiums that were taken, but not paid on your behalf and for the $10,000 in medical bills and other out-of-pocket costs associated with your employers failure to keep your insurance paid. Additionally, your employer may also have committed fraud. At this point, you should act fast. Typically, when an employer stops paying health insurance premiums the company is having cash problems and is holding onto the money to stay afloat or someone is stealing the money. In either case, the more quickly you act, the more likely there is that there will still be some money to recover.At this point, you need to consult directly with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption