What to do if my employer switched insurance providers just before my surgery and now my operationwon’t be covered?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer switched insurance providers just before my surgery and now my operationwon’t be covered?

I was approved to have a spinal fusion performed on the 6th of last month through my employer provided insurance plan. However, I found out when I come out of surgery that my employer decided they could save some money by switching providers; they did so on the 1st of last month. Now I’m facing an uninsured surgery. What are my options and do I have a case? I work for a municipality and I don’t know what to do.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you work for a municipality, you need to check to see if you were part of a collective bargaining agreement. If you were, your employer cannot simply switch providers without notice and without ensuring your surgeries or procedures in between the coverages were covered. This is unfair and deceptive. If you are not covered by a collective bargaining agreement, I suggest you review your insurance. If your prior insurance had collected your payment and the coverage was the for the month that you had surgey, you should be covered by the first insurance, period. File the claims with both insurance companies and then begin the process of possibly contacting an insurance litigation attorney to see if you need to sue multiple parties for coverage on your surgery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption