What can I do fi my employer posted job without my official resignation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do fi my employer posted job without my official resignation?

With much respect of my current employer I disclosed that I was offered a contingent job offer. I asked my manager if he could keep things quit until the official offer came to me. The reason I confessed the job offer was that I asked to use him as a reference. I am currently waiting for the new employer to contact me to find out if all background checks, drug screens, etc. have been cleared. I went to an industry website and I noticed that my current job was being posted on this sight. I have not officially given my resignation. I have been with the company for 3 years and have been in good standing this whole time. I’ve never been given any verbal or any other type of warnings. How am I protected as an employee?

Asked on January 30, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Do you have protection against this action under the terms of a union/collective bargaining agreemnt or an employment contract? Does your treatment constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination? If not, then it is legal. A company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes when and why to post a job opening.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption