Can a pay period be changed without notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a pay period be changed without notice?

On my most recent paycheck, my employer only paid the first week of a bi-weekly pay period. On the check it has 01-08 to 01-14. All prior paystubs are bi-weekly. Can they change how we get paid

without prior notice, especially during an already established pay period? And, if so, when are they required to pay the difference?

Asked on January 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In your state (Ohio), employees must be paid at least semi-monthly (by the 15th of a month and by the 1st of the following month) unless that industry generally or commonly has a longer payroll (e.g. if this industry/type of business traditionally and commonly pays monthly, and this can be proven). Assuming that's not the case and your employer has gone to semi-monthly payment, then on the 15th, you could have received payment for days worked up through the 14th (e.g. for the 8th to the 14th), then work from the 15th through the end of the month would be paid Feb. 1st.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption