Employer not paying on time

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer not paying on time

Hello I am wondering if anything can be done legally
about the employes at my job including myself did
not get paid the day we were supposed to, we get
paid bi-weekly and this Friday we were not paid and
were told we wont get paid until next week due to
unknown reasons. Also the owner of the day care
sent an email saying he would add an extra 5 to
our next check. Many people are getting over draft
fees due to this and have to live off of what they had
left from their last check. Is there anything that can
be done?
Thank you.

Asked on July 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could sue for any losses (e.g. overdraft fees) you incur due to the delay, to the extent such fees exceed the extra $5 you are being offered. But that's effectively your only real recourse, assuming you are in fact paid: the law limits the compensation you can get for someone violating your rights to the loss or costs their violation caused you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption