What to do about alleged unemployment fraud?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about alleged unemployment fraud?

Employer claims that I refused a job they offered me but the employer withdrew the job 2 hours after offering it; I never refused the job. Unemployment claims officer ruled against me, stating that I willfully withheld information of job offer to them and states that I must repay $946, plus might face criminal charges with a Class D felony according to state law. I did not withhold information from them because the job was withdrawn so I did not think that I withheld anything because I did not refuse a job or turn down an offer of employment. What do I need to do now? Get lawyer and file appeal? File appeal on my own? Have completely clean record, not even speeding ticket. Would have never committed fraud.

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you received the adverse administrative decision recently, you need to immediately appeal it or you will be saddled with the decision against you. If you end up being stuck with the adverse decision against you, then you are required under the law to repay the amount of $946.00.

I suggest that you immediately consult with a labor law attorney to assist you in the matter you have written about to see what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption