Employee Overpayment

UPDATED: May 26, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employee Overpayment

In the state of California, how can an employer recoup their money for an
accidental overpayment? We issued an employee a check and then voided it, then
reissued the check. Mistakenly we gave the employee the both checks and they
cashed it.

Asked on May 26, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can ask the employee to repay, either immediately or over time, and either by writing a check back to you or by you deducting money from their paycheck until it is paid.
If they don't voluntarily repay you or let you do payroll deductions, you have to sue them for the money, unfortunately: the law is very clear that an employer cannot withhold money from paychecks without either employee consent or a court order (such as for wage garnishment, after winning a lawsuit). 
So talk to your employee first; then sue if you deem it worthwhile.
Bear in mind you can terminate him for cause for taking/keeping money to which he is not entitled. So if the employee will not work it out with you (e.g. through agreeing to payroll deductions), you can let him know that you will have to terminate him.
If you do get a repayment or payroll deduction agreement, get it in writing and signed by the employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption