What is the law regarding employee medical conditions?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding employee medical conditions?

I have Type II Diabetes and require additional time off the phones for bathroom breaks because of diabetes. My employer has requested that I have medical documentation filled out, almost along the lines of being disabled. The HR manager stated there wasn’t enough information on the forms outside of Type II diabetes and that I required additional bathroom breaks outside of my breaks. Can they legally request such detailed information as to how long it takes me to go to the bathroom?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Diabetes is a form of disability that your employer has to provide reasonable accommodations or run the risk of violating federal laws, American Disability Act. You should disclose the info to the empployer to the best of your knowledge and request such accommodations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption