What can happen if my son embezzled from his former employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if my son embezzled from his former employer?

My son embezzled less than $2500 from his retail employer. He was terminated and has since been making payment to pay back the money that was stolen. This was 9 months ago. yesterday he received a letter from the police department in that city advising there was a warrant for his arrest and he should turn himself in. What could be the charge and penalty?

Asked on March 14, 2017 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The charge, from what you write, would most probably be for embezzlment. What the penalty would be depends on many factors, such as your son's previous criminal record, if any, the amount taken, etc. At this point, since a warrant for his arrest had been issued, he really should consult with a criminal law attorney who practices in the area of where the warrant was issued. They can best advise him further and use their local court contacts to his best advantage. In the meantime, he should not speak with the police until he retains legal counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption