Eligible for continuing CA SDI when residing in another state?

UPDATED: May 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Eligible for continuing CA SDI when residing in another state?

If someone is currently receiving CA SDI and under a Calif doctor’s care can they move out of state(still remaining under the same doctor’s care) and still be eligible for SDI benefits? Or will the state of Calif cease the disability benefits?

Asked on May 8, 2009 under Insurance Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't know of any state that provides disability payments -- or any kind of public assistance -- to people who don't live in that state.  The person might be able to qualify for similar benefits in his or her new state, but they would have to apply for them and get approved all over again, and there might be a waiting period.

Please don't think about trying to pretend you're still living in California, when you aren't, so you can still get benefits from California.  It's called fraud.  Sooner or later, you'll get caught, and you'll be facing a large fine and quite possibly jail time -- on top of having to repay all the money you shouldn't have gotten.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption