Eligibility requirements for Naturalization

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Eligibility requirements for Naturalization

According to what I read, if one who’d become a permanent resident and who had not physically lived within the country had to leave for medical reasons for 11 months but had attained one’s continuous residence, would one’s residence period have zeroed down, hence one would have lost those years they have accumulated toward naturalization or the period they had not physically lived within the country would be credited toward their waiting period for naturalization? How can I verify that I meet the requirements, time-wise, which I need to wait before I file the N-400 to immigration?

Asked on February 22, 2018 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You literally will have to count the days you have been in the US to make sure you satisfy the physical presence requirement.  If you were out for almost a year, i would say that it would be safest to start counting the physical presence time after you returned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption