What constitutes a notice of early termination?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes a notice of early termination?

I am in one state and am trying to move my mom here. She is on 3 senior apartment waiting lists but nothing is available. Her current landlord says she needs to be out by the middle of next month as they have rented the apartment from under her. She is elderly, receives Section 8 housing and has lived in this apartment for over 12 years. Technically her lease is not up for almost another 4 months but she mentioned to them a few months ago that she would be moving sometime. I cannot get her down here is 30 days. What can we do?

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to see what notices your mother has received in writing from her landlord about the termination of her existing lease and if she is somehow in violation of it warranting the landlord to end it sooner rather than later.

You also need to see what notices if any your mother sent to her existing landlord about her ending her lease that are dated and signed by her.

Potentially your mother just orally stated to her landlord that she would be ending her lease but did not sign any document stating that she was ending her lease. If so, perhaps there is no basis for the landlord terminating the lease if your mother is current on it.

Since she is on section 8 housing, perhaps you can contact the housing authority to assist you in this matter and buy you some time on your mother's lease. You should also consider consulting a landlord tenant attorney as well for additional assistance.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption