What to do if my neighbor is blocking access to the driveway?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my neighbor is blocking access to the driveway?

In my deed it states that there is a easement right-of-way to my property. I bought my place 3 years ago but we didn’t have any problem until around 6 moths ago when my neighbor’s boyfriend moved in with her. Now he has my driveway blocked so I can’t get into my house. If I needed emergency services, they couldn’t even get to me. I have several police reports because of the matter. However, I feel like I can’t get anything done through the police. Could you give me advice on how to get

this matter handled?

Asked on May 23, 2019 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he is blocking an easement you have, he is violating the law. You can bring a legal action against him to get a court order requiring him to stop doing this, on pain or under threat (if he violates the order) of being sanctioned (e.g. fined). This type of legal action can be complex for a nonlawyer and must be brought in the right court--you probably do need an attorney to 1) review the deed and confirm exactly what your rights are (that the easement, etc. means what you think it means) and 2) to bring the action for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption