What to do regarding an earnest money Rrefund?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding an earnest money Rrefund?

During the closing of the mortgage loan, my name was removed from the purchased agreement per an purchase addendum. The addendum also indicated that the initial earnest funds were to be refunded. However, I have yet to receive the refund from the seller or title company. I have already contacted both parties but neither has given me a confirmation that a refund has been sent. It has been 4 months, what should I do?

Asked on August 13, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement to return the money to you and they are not honoring it, your recourse would be sue them for a court order requiring the refund. You should name both the seller and the title company in the lawsuit, to make sure you have all parties with control over the matter invovled, and can get a court order controlling both of them (court orders only bind the parties to the legal action). In the lawsuit, you will show the terms of the agreement and that you have done anything required of you in it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption