What are y rights regarding the early termination of my rental agreement?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are y rights regarding the early termination of my rental agreement?

I terminated a lease early and pusuant to my state’s code it, the landlord should return to me the security deposit within 60 days. The early termination was a verbal agreement between he and I and it was that I would continue to pay him rent until he got the place rented. The 1st was 3 days ago and he still has not gotten it rented and I told him to keep my security deposit (equal to 1 month’s rent) as payment for this month. What he proposed was that he keep the security deposit and also charge me $500 and then I would be completely free and clear. Does this sound lawful?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, you would be obligated for any unpaid months under the term of your lease. If you are willing to apply your security agreement and $500 as full and final payment for any obligation owed on your lease, such would be legal. However, I suggest that you get the terms in writing signed by you and the landlord to be on the safe side.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption