Is it possibleto get an early expungement of a criminal conviction?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possibleto get an early expungement of a criminal conviction?

In 2007 I was convicted of petty theft, a misdemeanor in MI. Probation ended summer of 2008. After probation I was told I could get this expunged from my record in 5 years. I have since moved downstate, attended college, received a bachelor degree, and am now seeking training needed to get into a physician assistant masters program. I want to get certified as a nursing assistant (CNA) to get my training but am told that I cannot do so until my 5 years is up. This means that I would have to sit around and wait for another 2.5 years. Is it possible to get this expunged early?

Asked on January 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would seek consultation from a criminal attorney in the Michigan area to see if you can make an application to the Court ofany type to allow you to expedite the process.  Generally speaking the laws on this issue are pretty strict.  But maybe somewhere in the legislative intent or the case law there is a provision that would allow the courts to consider your application early: that you have redeemed yourself and are trying to enter in to society with a clean slate and with a valuable profession; that you have been a model citizen since the conviction - whatever.  Some straw to grasp.  It is worth a shot.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption