EAD renewal

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

EAD renewal

I have a marriage based i-485 pending, i applied for renewal of my ead ending of feb
and i have not yet gotten a receipt of it, my current ead expires june 15th and i am worried.
I also learnt about the 180 day rule, which am eligible for, but also have not gotten receipt of that to show my employers.Please what should i do?

Asked on May 17, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your I-485 is based on a marriage to a US citizen, you are technically ok even if you continue to work without authorization since unauthorized employment is "forgiven" to immediate relatives of US citizens.  It is also possible that you will be called in for your adjustment interview in the next month and get approved for your green card since the processing times for that have lately been about the same as the time it takes to get the EAD.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption