DWI Install device

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DWI Install device

I have taken care of all things as far as getting my license back but now they

are telling me that in order to get my license I need to get this install device

in my car. Now, here is the issue, I have no car to get this installed in, am I forced to get a car and have a car payment to obtain my license?

Asked on February 19, 2018 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, yes: if a condition of license renewal if the installation of an interlock, so you cannot drive without using an interlock device, you would have to acquire a car and install the device. The state is not required to restore your license if you don't comply. (And think about it if you could get around the interlock requirement by not owing a car, many people who have DUIs would then sell their cars and use cars titled to family members, or rented, etc.) A very inexpensive used "junker" is likely a good idea.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption