Is is true that you cannot have an attorney appointed to a misdemeanor case?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is is true that you cannot have an attorney appointed to a misdemeanor case?

I was involved in a harassment case after I got my case number in the mail I went and did the proper paperwork to get an attorney. However no one ever got back with me, so on the day of court I was telling the lady that I asked for an attorney and she told me that I wasn’t allowed one in a misdemeanor case. So I had to defend myself and was found guilty.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In every state of this country, if a person is charged with a misdemeanor or felony criminal offense, he or she is entitled to a lawyer to represent them if they cannot afford to hire one privately. This is every person's Constitutional Right in this country.

The issue that is see in your matter is whether or not it was a criminal harassment action or a civil harassment action. There is a big difference between the two. In the former, the result if convicted is potentially jail and/or a fine and/or a court ordered injunction. In the latter, the result is a court ordered injunction, no jail and no fine.

Most harassment cases are privately brought in the civil forum, not in the criminal court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption