Durable Power of Attorney Florida

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Durable Power of Attorney Florida

Is this document only good when somebody dies? My mom is in ICU and my sister is charging on her cards, took money out of her checking account, cashed her life insurance in and took me off. There is a credit card with Mom’s and my name on it with $20,000 open credit. Mom ordered her a card she not liable for the debt. They won’t let me cancel the card. I just don’t want to be responsible for any debt.

Asked on May 21, 2019 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A POA is good until someone dies or the person granting it cancels or revokes it: once a person dies, only a will directs what happens with their belongings or possessions. Whomever has the POA can use it now. However, someone with a POA has a legal obligation to use it in the interests and for the benefit of the person who gave her her the POA, not her own interest; a POA is not a license to steal or commit fraud. What your sister is doing may be criminal by draining your mother's money--that money belongs to your mother, not sister, and any power your sister has over it is to manage and use it for your mother's benefit (e.g. pay her medical bills or hire caregivers). You may wish to contact your local prosecutor and/or the state attorney general to report this behavior. If the find her actions illegal, that will also help to insulate you from the consequences of her actions (a person is not generally responsible for another person's criminal acts).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption