How to get reciprocity between states regarding DUI classes?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get reciprocity between states regarding DUI classes?

I lived in C in 8/10. That same month I made my planned move to WA. I have been flying from WA to CAto deal with court and DMV. The courts approved an out-of-state equivalent DUI class. But the CA DMV won’t accept it. I do not have my WA iidentification card yet but my son, as well as I, attend school here and have a residence here. How do I overcome the DMV DUI classes in CA? And, how do I get approved for a WA driver’s license if the CA DMV won’t release my suspension?

Asked on January 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am a little confused here.  You made an application to the Courts in California to do your classes in Washington State, gave them the name of a program and they approved it. And DMV refuses to approve a class that the Courts already have? And you completed the court and have gotten a certificate of completion?  I think you may need a little bit of muscle here.  If you have been back to Court and you have fulfilled all your sentence requirements then I fail to see how DMV can withhold your license if the court deemsyou done.  So get what ever you can from the court as to the case disposition, go to DMV and start to yell and seek to see supervisor after supervisor, and then hire an attorney, which may be cheaper than flying back and forth.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption