If I got a letter regarding a unpaid fine for a DIU, mustI pay it if its from an attorney and not the court?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got a letter regarding a unpaid fine for a DIU, mustI pay it if its from an attorney and not the court?

I got a DUI by a minor when I was 16 and never paid the fine. Now 14 years later I got a letter in the mail from an attorney that says I must pay them the fine. I probably would not think twice if it was a letter from the court but its not. What should I do?

Asked on June 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would contact both the court and the attorney that sent you the letter and inquire as to the fine.  Ask the court two things: one, if you can still pay the fine to the court and two, if the court hired anyone to collect on their behalf and explain why.  Ask the attorney by what authority he is collecting and for whom.  Do not agree to pay anything until you are sure that paying the attorney satisfies the debt.  Also, I bet the attorney has fees tacked on to the original fine so you need to check that out as well. Informed is the only way to make this decision. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption