What to do about a bill that comes in after a bankruptcy is filed?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a bill that comes in after a bankruptcy is filed?

If some one files for Chapter 7 and then gets unexpected medical bills a week after the filing so the schedules never got discharged. Can that person drop or get his current case dismissed and file a new (not a continuance of the previous case) and involve the hospital bill that was acquired right after the first case.

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can include the medical bills in your bankruptcy by filing an amendment to your bankruptcy with the Bankruptcy Court.  There may be a court form for the amendment.  The amendment would list the name and address of the new creditor and the amount owed. This is the same bankruptcy case.  There is no need to drop or have your case dismissed.  Filing the amendment to your bankruptcy will take care of this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption