What are my rights regarding a faulty drainage system on my property?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a faulty drainage system on my property?

I own a piece of property that has a culvert to allow water runoff from the road and what not. For the most part it is covered under the ground and looks great.However, there is about a 30 foot stretch from the road to the beginning of the underground pipe that is exposed. The exposed part of the culvert is lined with rocks, but some of the water doesn’t drain down to the underground pipe like it should. Instead it soups up a small part of my yard. Is it my responsibility to fix this or do I have a right to make the community fix this? Do I have any other rights as a property owner where a community drainage system runs through my property?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As the property owner of the property you are writing about, you have the right and obligation to protect your property and make any and all repairs with respect to the culvert system that seems to be backing up as a result of improper drainage.

As to the presumed easement for the culvert and whose obligation it is to make repairs as to the culvert, you need to read the easement that burdens your property to see if property owner or owners who receive the benefit of the culvert have the obligations to make the repairs or not to it.

Your rights with respect to the community drainage system through your land is that you are entitled to use your property in any manner so that the presumed drainage easement culvert is not interfered with.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption