drainage from new gutters

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

drainage from new gutters

A contractor just put new gutters on my neighbor’s house. The problem is he changed where they drain. Before none of my neighbor’s rain water came onto my property. Now the front drain is right to my driveway and the back has no extension on it and goes into my back yard. When I asked the contractor about it, he told me that the old way caused water to stay at the house causing water damage. What can I do, do get the contractor to put the gutter drains back the way their were?

Asked on November 23, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your neighbor for nuisance.  Nuisance is an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of your property.  Your neighbor, as the landowner, is liable for the flooding of your property.
Damages (monetary compensation) in a lawsuit for nuisance would be an inadequate remedy because of multiplicity of lawsuits since the flooding is ongoing when there is rain.  Damages are also inadequate because land is unique.
Since damages are inadequate, you should seek an injunction to stop your neighbor from allowing your property to be flooded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption