Dose our employer owe us some form of privacy??

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Dose our employer owe us some form of privacy??

I work from home for a call center and we are subject
to call monitoring However I was recently monitored
for an entire week without my knowledge. My
personal messages were seen and the person who
was monitoring my system is someone Ive never met
before. I feel like they invaded my privacy. Is this ok??

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you agreed to be monitored, then they can do this. And even if you did not explicitly agree, if you were told they monitor and still kept working there (i.e. did not quit), your continued employment with knowledge of their policy expresses your consent to the policy, since if you did not consent, you would have resigned. It is also legal if you are using employer-provided devices or systems to communicate, since they may monitor anything on their own technology.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption