Does a cop have probable cause to search my car if he pulled me over for what he thought was an illegal widow tint?

UPDATED: May 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a cop have probable cause to search my car if he pulled me over for what he thought was an illegal widow tint?

The cop pulled me over for what he thought was illegal widow tint but he tested it and it was legal. After he found out they are legal he said he smelled weed in my car and insisted that he search, even after I told him i did not consent to a search. He found under an ounce of weed and a pipe. He then gave me DWI test and arrested me for DWI and possession of under 1 oz of weed. Can I get this thrown out on the grounds of illegal search and seizure or am I going to end up taking a plea?

Asked on May 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In this case, after the officer smelled the weed in the car, he had probable cause to search you and the car based on the notion that a crime was being committed (illegal possession of marijuana). From that point, the search would be considered a vaild search and seizure. I would still challenge the search for probable cause because you never know what a Judge may or may not accept as being reasonable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption