What can I do if I do not want to follow through on domestic abuse charges against my fiancé?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I do not want to follow through on domestic abuse charges against my fiancé?

There were domestic violence charges brought against my fiance and I do not want to go through with it. How can I go on with my life without this having to be drug out in court. He has a stay away order by the judge so we are not allowed to talk at all and I would really like to resolve this. What can I do? Our next court is in about 3 weeks.

Asked on March 19, 2016 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not to press charges and move forward with a case is a matter for the prosecutor, not the alleged victim. This means that even without your cooperaation the state with a case against your boyfriend. While it would be easier with your help, it is not essential in order for the state to try the case. Additionally, if you are subpeonaed to testify you must do so. Failure to appear may result in a contempt of court charge which cnn involve fines and even jailtime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption