Does the state of CA require a chapter of a not for profit travel club to incorporate?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the state of CA require a chapter of a not for profit travel club to incorporate?

We are a not for profit travel club incorporated in Oregon. If we establish a chapter in Calfornia, is that chapter required to become a not for profit corporation in California. If so, will that chapter be required to file a state income tax return?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Business Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Not-for-profit organization law does vary from one state to another, and I'm not a California attorney.  You should talk to someone who practices in this field, for the best approach based on the facts of your organization's situation.  One place to find lawyers in any state is our website,

You may be able to simply pay a small annual fee for permission to operate your Oregon entity in California as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption