Does the company take care of my ticket if I got it during the performance of my job?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the company take care of my ticket if I got it during the performance of my job?

I work at a car dealership. At the time I was new and was sent on a dealer trade which involves driving to another dealer to trade cars. I was pulled over and was gaven a ticket for speeding and no dealer plates, no insurances, and no registration. I had no idea I need to have those things now the dealer didn’t give me another forms. Does the dealer have to pay for it or do I?

Asked on September 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they do not. The law makes employees, not employers, responsible for their criminal (including speeding and moving violation) acts. You employer could choose to pay any fines but they are not required to do so; rather, you are required to make sure you ask about and have everthing required to leglly drive a car before you do (and, also, of course, to not speed).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption