Does our landlord have to pay for a hotel room if we were displaced after a flood?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does our landlord have to pay for a hotel room if we were displaced after a flood?

We recently had a huge flood hit the city. As a result, our apartment has become un-inhabitable. No power, flood damage, etc. Is our landlord required to pay for a hotel room while the apartment is fixed? Many area hotels are offering discounted rooms for flood victims. Also, are we required to pay full rent if he isn’t paying for the hotel?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your rental is now uninhabitable as a result of a flood then you are not legally obligated to pay rent to your landlord for that unit under the law for the simple reason that it is not in a condition that you agreed to inhabit.

Typically a landlord is not required to pay for the tenant's hotel room when the damaged apartment is being repaired if the damages are caused by an "act of God". If the landlord caused the damages to the rental then the landlord should pay for the hotel room pending the repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption