Does my husband owe me anything or is he obligated to help pay for our car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my husband owe me anything or is he obligated to help pay for our car?

My husband left me out of nowhere, in a different state, in a house that I could not afford by myself, with no money and a car that we had bought together. He was still active duty military when he left, so he was still receiving basic housing allowance even though he left. He was only receiving that extra money because we were married. However, he did not use it to help me with the house he left me in or the car payments from the car we are both on the title to. I pay the entire car payment which I would have not purchased a car or would not even have been able to get a loan for one on my income. I guess I am just wondering if he is responsible for some portion of the car payment? He didn’t give me a choice on the matter of who has the car, so I have it. Most of the money I made went into his account when we were living together, so when he left I had almost nothing to pay all these bills with. He refuses to take my name off of his bank account, so all his missed payments on his property is effecting me. I am assuming divorce will be pretty simple as we have no kids and very little shared debt.

Asked on May 30, 2019 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The law doesn't interfere in a couple's internal domestic or financial arrangments while they are still married. But in a divorce, debts and obligations can be apportioned to the person who is or should be responsible for them; assets, property, money in the bank, etc. can be divided; a primary breadwinner can be ordered to pay support for the other spouse--and a temporary order, requiring some level of support from one spouse to the other (e.g. that he pay certain obligations or provide some monthly amount of money) can be put in place while the divorce is ongoing, pending its outcome. So you can get help and a fair share in divorce, but not without filing for divorce. You should consult with a family law attorney to better understand the process and to what you may be entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption