Does my mom’s husband have a legal right to file vandalism if she moves his stuff into storage?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my mom’s husband have a legal right to file vandalism if she moves his stuff into storage?

My mom’s husband is leaving her. My mom’s father owns the house and her husband has never paid any sort of rent. My mom would like to move his belongings into a storage unit until he finds a place. He says he will file vandalism charges if she does this.

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your mother's situation.  Vandalism charges would probably not be what could be filed.  Probably conversion or theft if something happens to the property.  If he is leaving her then I would tell her to file for divorce and ask the court for exclusive use and occupancy of the house and to have his belongings out by a certain date.  Do it all by he book.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption