Does my landlord have to pay for a hotelif a mold problem is being fixed?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my landlord have to pay for a hotelif a mold problem is being fixed?

My landlord is telling me that when we do the mold test to see which kind of mild it is, if it is the worst kind, we have to brake the contract and move out within an hour. The problem is this is something we were not prepared for and have no money to move, especially if we have to move out so soon.

Asked on January 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your are being required to live in a motel while a mold problem is being fixed by your landlord on your rental, he or she should be paying for the costs of the hotel, not you.

If the conditions are so bad at your rental that you cannot return due to mold contamination, your landlord should reimburse you for rent paid during the period it was present during your occupancy of the rental.

From what you have written about the mold issues at the rental you have, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption