Does my husband’s lawyer have to provide financial info when I request it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my husband’s lawyer have to provide financial info when I request it?

My husband has a lawyer and I do not. He is active duty military and we live in VA. I have a protection order and live in our home with our kids. I have been a stay at home mom the entire 6 years of our marriage. We have been separated for 3 months now and I sent a request to his lawyer asking for our financial information and documents and I want to know if they have to give it me and if so how quickly do they have to provide it?

Asked on November 9, 2017 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need a lawyer to help you and generally speaking, if your husband is the "monied spouse" then he would pay for it after a pendente lite motion for support is made.   I have given you to links here as an over view and guide to the divorce process.  Yes, they generally have to give you the financial disclosure (in New York it is called a Statement of Net Worth).  If a party does not provide same when properly requested then you would make a motion to compel the information.  In the booklets below there are guides to free legal help.  You would likely qualify for that as well. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption