Does my husband have any legal right to ask about his uncle’s Will and/or estate?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my husband have any legal right to ask about his uncle’s Will and/or estate?

My husband’s uncle (by marriage – he was married to my husband’s maternal aunt) passed away last year in MI. My husband had expected to receive something from his uncle’s estate because his uncle told him that he would. However, the son-in-law of the uncle’s “girlfriend” seemed to be in charge of the estate and there was no mention of any Will. My husband is too embarrassed to ask because he doesn’t want to appear “money-grubbing”. But he was hurt that his uncle would not leave him anything at all. We don’t really know if there is anything that can be done.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your husband wants to know if he was mentioned in the deceased uncle's Will and is too embarassed to ask, he should go to the courthouse where the Will is presumably being probated and review the Will. If a probate proceeding is underway, the original Will and all addendums should be in the court's file and open to public inspection.

If there has been no mention of your husband being the beneficiary under the deceased uncle's Will or Trust at this stage, then most likely he was not mentioned as a beneficiary. If your husband want to simply ask the son-in-law of the uncle's girlfriend who the beneficiaries are of the estate, he can ask and hopefully get his answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption