Does my future husband’s ex-wife have any rights to my income once we are married?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my future husband’s ex-wife have any rights to my income once we are married?

I am planning to marry a man who is divorced with 3 children. I would like to know if once we are married my much higher income level will be at the disposal of her money hungry habits, or if my finances and the information about my finances remains mine and only mine. I do not want her to have any legal rights to my hard earned income. She doesn’t work for it. She shouldn’t get any of it.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand your position here but if you file joint tax returns she may be able to see your income anyway.  It depends on how the settlement agreement is written (some people re-evaluate support based upon their income as file din the return of the prior year).  If you are asking if she can attach your income in any way, no, generally speaking she can not.  Any support order or judgement for back support is in his name only  But again, if you file returns jointly then any tax refund with his name on it could be attached.  I would speak with someone about some financial planning.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption