Does my former employer have to pay me after I was fired?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my former employer have to pay me after I was fired?

I was terminated and HR did not notify me or my manager. I showed up to work and worked six hours before I noticed something was wrong when I couldn’t log in on a computer. I then asked my manager what the situation was, he called HR and they said I was let go for attendance points. I did receive a phone call from HR a few days prior and explained what had happened. The lady asked if I still wanted to work there and I said yes and that she’d record what happened. She said nothing about being fired. I worked six hours while no longer being employed by the company. Not knowing that I didn’t work there anymore, do they still have to pay me for the labor?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employee need not receive official notice of their termination. In your case, however, although you has been discharged you were allowed to work for 6 hours. Accordingly, you should be paid compensated for it. Your employer had ample time to notice that you reported to work yet it still let you remain and perform your job duties. If you cannot get paid, then you can either sue your former employer in small claims court or you can file a wage claim with your states's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption