Does my ex-husband have the right to enter the premises for his personal property after the 90 days he was given has expired?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my ex-husband have the right to enter the premises for his personal property after the 90 days he was given has expired?

It’s been 90 days, plus 7 1/2 months and he just now is asking to come back on premises after he threatened to take me back to court to take away my alimony. This is destructive/abusive relationship case. I don’t want him on the premises. He has come back on the premises without my permission/knowledge at the time and taken 3 items that he was supposed to leave. I did not contact the police at the time because divorce was final and I had thought we would be finished with all of this by now. The divorce was finalized almost 10 months ago.

Asked on April 23, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay well you need to change the locks on the house for the first thing. Possibly consider installing an alarm system as well.  He does not have the right to come back on the premises.  Now, lets put aside the legalities of if he has a right to get his things.  Although you may ultimately win on that issue is it worth the fight with this guy?  I would make arrangements to meet him at a neutral place for him to come and get his things.  DO NOT BE THERE ALONE.  In fact, I would ask two neutral parties- if there is still one after the divorce - to be there with you when he comes. One should be male. And if this continues consider a restraining order.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption