Does my ex boyfriend have any rights to my house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my ex boyfriend have any rights to my house?

I bought a house almost 2 years ago. The house is only in my name with my

grandfather as a co-signer. Does my ex-boyfriend have any right to the house? He gave me the money for the deposit and he signed a letter stating it was gift and I was not obligated to pay it back. We both lived in the house since I purchased it and he moved out last month now wants me to put his name on the deed or he will take me to court. I just need to know if he has any rights or is he just trying to scare me into putting his name on the house.

Asked on February 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, a gift, once given, cannot be ungiven: it belongs to the recipient and the giver has no rights in or to it. If this was provably a gift--which it should be, if there is a letter to that effect--then you owe no obligations regarding the money or the house, and uour ex-boyfriend should have no enforceable legal rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption