Does a landlord have the right to terminate utilities that are in their name?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a landlord have the right to terminate utilities that are in their name?

A tenant is not honoring a verbal agreement to pay trailer payment (rent to own) and utilities in landlord’s name. Does the landlord have the right to terminate utilities if the tenant refuses to make payments? The landlord gave a 10 day eviction notice because of non-payment. It is a large utility bill; can the tenant be given a 10 day notice to terminate utilities without payment?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, the landlord cannot legally cut off the tenant's utilities regardless of whose name the utility bill is in. Doing so could very well subject the landlord to a constructive eviction lawsuit.

Under the laws of all states, a 30 day eviction notice of a tenant is required for breach of the rental agreement by the tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption