Does getting married in America or my home country speed up the process of migration?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does getting married in America or my home country speed up the process of migration?

My fiance has been a green card holder for a little over 4 years, we have been together for about 6 years and have a son together who is 4. We would like to get married at this point but don’t know how to proceed with him filing for me, who will be his wife and his son. Also, we don’t know if getting married in our home country Jamaica will speed things up rather than here in America. I came to visit his mom and she’s really sick and suggested we do it here now instead of the original plan which is Jamaica next year July.

Asked on November 11, 2016 under Immigration Law, Nebraska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If he has been a green card holder for over 4 years, he should be eligible to apply for US citizenship soon if he has satisfied the conditions for applying for naturalization.  If so, then it makes more sense for him to wait until he is a US citizen to file for you and your child.  If you are already in the US now, you can get married now while you are here but it still will not speed up the process of when he can petition for you and your child.  However, if he is close to filing for citizenship, then he should do so as soon as he is eligible.  You can contact me directly if you have additional questions regarding the timing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption