Do courts use out of state criminal records against you?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do courts use out of state criminal records against you?

My daughter’s father was recently charged with DWLS and possession of marijuana under 20 grams. They fingerprinted him and pulled up his NCI criminal record which has 10 DWLS and shows that he has been to prison 4 times for possession of cocaine. Will they use that against him?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the laws of the state where your daughter's father was charged recently with possession of marijuana where he has prior convictions in an other state for possession of another controlled substance, the state where the charge is currently pending could charge him with prior convictions as well as a form of an enhancement as to additional penalties if convicted for the current marijuana charge. The key is to look at the current criminal complaint against him for any enhancement charges for the prior convictions.

I suggest that he immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney due to the seriousness of the current charge and the prior convictions which might have been felony convictions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption