How can I find out if my state allows alimony?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if my state allows alimony?

I’ve been told by several non-professional people that AR does not allow alimony. Is this correct?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

My research suggests that in AR, alimony may be awarded to either spouse for their support and maintenance after the divorce. The main factors a court considers in awarding alimony are a spouse's need for support and the other spouse's ability to pay.

Additionally, alimony can be awarded for a certain period of time and is typically paid in regular installments (e.g.monthly). State law provides alimony payments end at the recipient's death or re-marriage (or the equivalent of remarriage) unless the court's judgment or the spouses' agreement states otherwise.

For further information, you need to consult directly with a divorce attorney on your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption